Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Heart Surgery

In late 2018, I had a regular checkup with my cardiologist, Dr. Kacere.  After a few minutes of checking me and talking, he got up to leave.  On his way out the door, he paused and turned around.  "Would you be interested in a procedure to allow you to quit taking warfarin?", he asked.

I replied that I would indeed.  He explained to me that a small device called a Watchman© would be inserted into my heart and close off the left atrial appendage.  Yeah, I know, it is gobbledygook to me too.

After a bit more discussion, I told him that we were leaving for South Texas for the winter and would return in April.  He told me to give his scheduler a call when I got back and we would see about doing it, which I did.

The procedure consisted of having a small device, roughly the shape of a parachute, into my heart to close off that appendage.  On May 16, I checked into St. John's Hospital to have it done.  As far as I know, it went off without a hitch!

I've got a couple of followup visits scheduled.  If anything bad happens, I'll let you know (if I'm able).

No comments:

Post a Comment