Thursday, February 13, 2014

August: Osage Moon

As Louise will tell you, I rarely go to a movie.  I couldn't tell you why, I just don't.  Its probably for the same reasons that I seldom watch television.  However, the other day we decided to go to the movies.

We were trapped in the motor home and the weather was horrible for south Texas (still a lot better than at home).  We had heard some PR about August: Osage County and since it was filmed in Pawhuska, Oklahoma, about seventy miles from our house, we decided to go see it.

It has been about a week now since we went and I still can't tell you what I think about it!  The profanity was terrible but I guess thats pretty much normal for Hollywood today.  The movie did not need it to develop the characters and plot however.

Without giving the movie away, I'll try to tell you a bit about it.  Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts, two amazing actresses, developed their roles perfectly.  I don't know a thing about movie making but I suppose that the director, John Wells, had a great deal to do with this as well.  Several other actors and actresses played outstanding roles as well.  One of my favorites was Misty Upham, who played the role of Johnna, the Indian girl who was hired as a housekeeper.

The entire movie was a dark one; if you are looking for a "feel good" show which will make you happy, don't go to this one.

Of interest to Louise and me was the location shooting in Pawhuska.  Many of the buildings were recognizable, including the unique triangular shaped multi-story building in downtown.  Being a car guy, I kept an eye out for unusual vehicles - the two most memorable were a Ferrari and an old F250 Ford pickup.

I usually measure movies by how often I get up to go to the restroom (perhaps out of boredom).  In this case, I stayed in my seat.

No comments:

Post a Comment