Friday, February 14, 2014

Total Hip Replacement

For the past year or two, I've noticed that my range of movement in my right leg was declining.  I began to think that I might have to wind up wearing the dreaded Velcro fastening shoes just to get them on!  Finally, in October of last year, I went to see the doctor.

After talking to me for a bit, he sent me down the hall for x-rays.  In a few minutes he came back in and told me that my right hip was completely shot and needed to be replaced.  I swear to you that that hip had never hurt until that moment - suddenly it started hurting!  He gave me a referral to a hip surgeon and I went to see that doctor on November 15.

The hip doctor confirmed that yes, my hip was completely worn out and needed to be replaced.  He did dwell at some length, however, on my weight and suggested that I should get some of it off before we did any surgery.  He made an appointment for me to see him again on January 2.

I guess I've taken these events as a kind of wake-up call.  I was able to lose twenty pounds between November and the January office visit.  I'm convinced that, had I not lost the weight, he would have not scheduled my surgery.  He did, however, and I'm supposed to get a new hip on March 26.

In the meantime, I'm now down 35 pounds and walking two miles every day.  Surprisingly, even the hip doesn't hurt as badly as it did at first.  I really feel that I'll be able to reach my goals this time!  I'll keep you posted.

4 comments:

  1. I am impressed with your weight loss. Seriously.
    Does this mean no Coneys when you return to the north country?
    2 miles is this inside or out? The powers that set in this recliner need to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Outside, LL. And no, it doesn't mean no coneys, it just means two instead of three and no chips (my precious cheetos)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Edd--I had my hip replace 4 1/2 years ago. Best decision I ever made! (My husband says it's the best $50,000.00 we ever spent.) Dad had his replace last fall and he did better than I did.
    I'll keep you in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Susan. Actually, I'm kinda looking forward to it so that I can put my own shoes on again! I used to make fun of people who wore shoes with velcro straps. Now I understand the need!

    ReplyDelete