Monday, March 26, 2018

How Far Would You Go For A Coney?

Today I was searching around in my blog and I searched for "coney".  Not a single use of this word popped up.  So I've decided to change that!

For the past three or four years, I, along with friends Larry and Hugh, have had coney outings about once a month.  Normally,we would meet at Larry's wife's place of business, BS for a while and then drive to Dean's Coney Island in Sand Springs.

Well, things have changed recently.  Hugh moved farther away, down south of OKC, and Louise and I spent the winter in the Rio Grande Valley.  So coney outings have become less frequent.  The other day, as we were preparing to come home, I decided to set up a new coney lunch but in Hugh's neighborhood, Oklahoma City.

Larry and he both agreed that this sounded like a splendid idea so we planned to do it on Friday after I got home on Thursday.  Hugh found us a place in the City so we left Mannford about 10:00 a.m. and were going to meet Hugh at 11:40.

We arrived at the designated time and discovered that we had found coney nirvana!  This place has been in business since 1924 and, in spite of having the walls covered in OU memorabilia, it had all the charm a downtown coney place should have.



The name of the place is simply "Coney Island" and it's located at 428 W. Main Street.  One of our customs during our coney runs is to take pictures of the food and this trip was no exception.

This is me wolfing down one of my coneys.  Hugh and Larry better take pictures quickly if they want to capture more than just the paper lining in my basket!

So that's the story!  Yes, we did drive about 200 miles round trip and spend about five hours just to eat a coney.  Might oughta do it again next week!

1 comment: