Thursday, August 27, 2009

Dust to Dust


I was thinking yesterday that very little has changed in what I know or what I do in the past 40 years. I jokingly stated that, 40 years ago, I was soldering PL-259's onto coax and today I'm soldering PL-259's on to coax again.

A lot has happened in my life between these two episodes but it is ironic that we return to what we have done in the past. I would be remiss if I didn't include a picture of me from 40 years ago. I'm sitting in front of a radio and amplifier that I made myself from a kit. In spite of my lack of skills, both of these units worked fine and I would love to have them back today.

One other story about this radio setup: I was living in Stillwater and, one night, I was talking on the radio to someone, I don't remember who. All of a sudden, the signal meter went beserk! I went outside and discovered that someone had walked up to my garage apartment and cut the coax to the antenna with a pair of wire cutters. Apparently, my signal was not as clean as I thought it was. As Stan would say, "Oh, Well!".

No comments:

Post a Comment