Friday, December 23, 2011

Photographs

Well, I've embarked on a task which everyone tries, I guess. We have boxes and boxes of photos, most of which are literally thrown into a box with no organization or notes.

These photos have been accumulated from my mother, my wife's mother, and many other sources. I knew I was in trouble when I looked at a picture which had been in my mother's collection and the notes on the back were in my grandmother's handwriting! She had obviously acquired them when grandmother died and added them to her stash.

So, we have established some rules. First, if the quality of the photograph is bad, it goes in the trash. Second, if neither Louise nor I know the people in the picture, it goes in the trash. Third, if it is the sixteenth copy of the same photo that we've run across, it goes in the trash. I should point out that the only exception to this rule would be photographs which might have some historical significance. I haven't thrown away any tintypes! Of course, I haven't run across many of these either.

If a picture makes it past these strenuous guidelines, it then gets scanned and filed on the computer. My children are NOT going to inherit a box of old photos, only a hard drive filled with stuff they probably are not interested in! At least there will be a bit of organization to it - plus they can get rid of it by hitting the "delete" key.

I figure I'm probably 10% of the way into this project. I'll probably get sidelined and it will never get finished. Oh well, as my brother is fond of saying, "It is what it is". I always thought Milt was a profound person.

No comments:

Post a Comment