Friday, December 30, 2011

South Texas Weather

We arrived in the Valley the day before yesterday and the weather is gorgeous! Our trip down was uneventful except for filling this motorhome up with gasoline! I find myself just kind of holding my breath to see how much it takes.

We are actually located in La Feria, Texas, a small town between Harlingen and McAllen. If you aren't familiar with this part of the World, it's called "the Valley" because it is part of the Rio Grande River valley. There is no scenery here to speak of except that South Padre Island and the Gulf of Mexico is about 30 miles away. Since we are only about 10 miles from the Mexican border, a lot of the "Winter Texans" go over there to shop and sightsee. We used to but, because of the drug wars, don't any more.

Yesterday I got my HF antenna up and it works fine on 20 meters. I think that's probably the only band I'll work while we are here. The antenna is a Buddipole and I have it mounted on a painter's pole about 16' high. I'd like to have it higher, of course, but it ain't gonna happen!

Back to the weather, it was about 75 degrees yesterday and supposed to be near 80 today. I can live with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment